Saturday, July 23, 2011

The best attraction of Seoul City


Seoul Station


            In the city of Seoul, there are three major places where the homeless people gather – Seoul Station, City hall, and Young deng po. Out of the three places, Andy and I helped the homeless in Seoul Station. Seoul Station is the center of the means of transportations in South Korea. Due to this reason, it attracts thousands of people every day and those thousands of people see the homeless wandering around the area.

            Only few days ago, I got a Facebook message from Sarah Farkas (the leader of the volunteer group on Sundays) that says Seoul City is planning to kick out all the homeless from Seoul Station. I would like to jot down some of my thoughts on this occurrence.

            “UNESCO nominated city of design,” this is the new title for Seoul City. UNESCO is an organization from UN (United Nations) which protects natural and artificial places on earth. Honestly, out of all the countries I have been to, I don’t think I have ever heard of the name of the organization; however, in Korea, I have noticed that being nominated from the organization means a lot. Now, to maintain its reputation, Seoul City is trying to beautify the area around Seoul Station and their first move is kicking the homeless out.
     
            Kicking out the homeless from Seoul Station is somewhat understandable. Seoul City does not want to give bad impressions to the tourist by having the homeless around the biggest station. This will definitely not make the area look pleasant. I do not want to blame on Seoul City for its decision but I do want to blame on some selfish Koreans.

            As I was reading more articles about this new decision of Seoul City, I was able to read people’s opinions.  Sadly, and as I expected, many people were happy about Seoul City’s new policy. In addition to people’s cruel reactions, I have learned that there are rumors about the homeless that they are violent and aggressive – which is preposterous.

            I do not know about other people but for me, the best part of traveling is meeting new people. Beautiful mountains, flamboyant night views, fancy clubs and bars are nice attractions of Seoul. However, would not Seoul City be much more attractive place if citizens of Seoul City embrace and care for each other? At least I think so.

Issac Won

1 comment:

  1. One up for the homeless in Seoul Station.

    ReplyDelete